Thursday, September 8, 2011

another one bites the dust

So it was a long field season this year. Got started a lot later than I've been used to the last few years, and honestly, we're ending the season a lot earlier....
June 4 was the day we took off. I'm still in the field, but will be home by no later than September 20. Had to deal with THE worst pilot under the sun. Apparently I have impressed my boss for actually working a full season with the self proclaimed "best pilot in the company"....... Yes, the man has some serious piloting skills, but is probably the hardest guy I've ever had to work with. It takes more than the ability to fly a helicopter really well before I consider someone a "great pilot''. You have to be able to work with you mechanic. You have to be able to work with your customer. Neither of the two were done very well by said "best pilot"... But, I stuck it out, and have a feeling I'll have my pick as to which contract I take next year....
Finally taking a vacation. This will be the first time I've left Alaska since 2007 when it's not work related. The wife and I are going for 15 days. Starting in Houston, making our way to Padre Island to see my sister and her family. Then a day in New Braunfels, a day in Tulsa, then to my hometown in Kansas for a few days. All while making small pitstops to see friends and family.
After our stay in Kansas we'll be making our way to Colorado for a few days. Then after Colorado, we're hopping a plane to Seattle for 3 days, then home.
I'm really excited to show my wife around the lower 48. She's a born and bred Alaskan, and hasn't spent much time down south... We're leaving the kids home, and plan to peruse around the central US for a few weeks. I don't think just the two of us have ever spent that much time together. I am looking forward to the excitement of a long day driving with just her and I. The perfect sound of silence. The road side "quickies". lol... ya, I said it.... The random road side attractions.. Ya know, the signs that lead you to the "biggest prairie dog" in the world, etc.... Should be a lot of fun.
We need this trip. We have both been working too hard, and haven't taken any time to just have each others company with no distractions. I don't think I've ever looked forward to a vacation like I am with this one...
I'm also excited for this winter. I have a goal of finishing my 46 Ford truck... or at the very least, have it road worthy by spring... Lots of ice fishing this year. I haven't even put a line in the water since last winter, so to say I need to get my fish on is an understatement.
Feona (our middle child) has started playing the saxophone. I grew up playing the sax, so needless to say I'm really stoked she chose that instrument. Every time she talks to me on the phone I hear about the new songs she's learning. Proud daddy.....
Amelia is still into her horses. She is a very talented young lady in that aspect. It's really nice to know that she takes something so seriously. Now if she would just apply that seriousness to other aspects of her teenage life. hahahahaha
Waylen has been in the boy scouts for a while now. I think it's time for me to take the reigns from his dad on that one though... He really enjoys going, but his dad doesn't make it a priority. So, I guess I need to take over and show the boy that I'm interested in what HE is interested in. At least then some positive male role model will hopefully have some positive impact....

anywho..... lol

Life is good, I can honestly say I'm happy with the road I've chosen and can't ask for much more in life.
Till the next time.... which will probably happen in another 6 months.... again... I wish you all well.

No comments: